STANDARDIZATION OF MILK FAT
Standardization of the composition of milk constituents is an important process meant either for market purpose or for manufacturing milk products.. Standardizing milk might require control of only one component (usually fat) while allowing the others to vary or control two or more components simultaneously.
Standardization of Milk may be defined as the adjustment of one or more of the milk constituents to a nominated level. In the market milk industry, this normally involves reducing the butterfat content by addition of skim milk or through the removal of cream.
- To comply with the legal requirements for particular milk/dairy products.
- To provide the consumer with a uniform product.
- To ensure economics in production.
In a multi-product factory, where one requires standardization for different products, and the Dairy has the availability of Whole Milk, Skimmed Milk and Cream standardization of milk fat in Whole Milk can be easily done by:
A. Addition of Skimmed milk if the fat content is to be lowered or
B. Addition of Cream if the fat content is to be increased.
However in a small, single product plant requiring standardized milk only for Market Milk and which has only Whole Milk available with, the standardization involves either removal of fat as cream or production of skimmed milk/ partially skimmed milk. While cream can be used for other by products like cTable Cream, Butter or Ghee, Skimmed Milk is either sold as Pasteurized Skimmed milk or may be used for Casein or cottage cheese or low fat paneer.ses
Methods of Calculation for Standardization: We shall discuss here standardization required for such small Dairy Farmer/ Processor. And provide a tool to standardize the whole milk available. Method use for the purpose is called “Pearson's Square Method”.
We have developed a free tool to standardize the milk defined as below: You can submit your request in below mentioned Link:
- You may be having High Fat (Mixed/ Buffalo Milk) and want to standardize it as Low Fat Milk either for pasteurizing and market or for manufacturing some product like curd, paneer, flavoured milk etc. And in the process shall also obtain Dairy Cream. Cream obtained can be used for ghee manufacturing or sold as such to bakeries.
- You may be having Low Fat Milk (Cow Milk) and want to standardize it to High Fat Milk like Full Cream Pasteurized Milk for market or for manufacturing products with high fat.
Our Standardization Tool which is just a click away, shall help you in the above cases. You only need to fill the required information in the Form provided at the link. All it takes is just 2 minutes and you get an instant response on your maiI.
“Output of standard Milk with desired Fat% shall be ‘X’ Kgs and Output of Cream with ‘F%’ Fat shall be “Y” Kgs” or “Output of standard Milk with desired Fat% shall be ‘X’ Kgs Output of Skimmed Milk/Low Fat Milk with ‘F%’ Fat shall be “Y” Kgs”
Do try out this tool and if you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us.